Monday, December 29, 2008

Satriani vs Coldplay

A lot of interesting things happen in today's music scene, some downright silly and some worthy of taking note. One of those would be the:

Joe Satriani vs Coldplay Lawsuit

It seems that Joe Satriani has sued Coldplay for copyright infringement/plagiarism of his work. Coldplay's grammy nominated song, Viva La Vida allegedly contains "substantial, original portions" of Satriani's 2004 song, If I Could Fly.

I personally have listened to both songs, and it really struck me how the chorus of Satriani's song and the melody of Viva La Vida are VERY ALIKE. Coldplay claims it is coincidence, however Satriani does not seem to think so. Listen to the song mash-up below:



It begs the question, did Coldplay really plagiarise the song? I find it hard to believe that such a bestselling band, which had already written dozens of great songs would resort to copying the work of another artist.

I guess in music there's always a limit to creativity; in the sense that from the time music was first played until now, there will songs which would have similarities. You might think you created something new, but if you look back hard enough or far enough, there will probably be another musician who has written something which sounds the same.

Another example of a similar tune would be Avril Lavigne's song "Hot" and Marion Raven's song "Break You".

That's just my 2 cents. Maybe one day I'll come up with a drum solo which Joey Jordison will sue me for plagiarism. Lol. Will be keeping close tab on the updates of this case.






On a different note, I seem listening to this song a lot of late:

Song recommendation of the day:
The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name

No comments: